PHILADELPHIA AND LAODICEA
THE LAST TWO OF THE 7 CHURCHES AND THE CO-RELATION WITH THE MENTIONED WITNESSES OF REVELATION
By Adauto Rezende
Was it a coincidence that Jesus left both churches as the sixth and seventh ones?
Philadelphia – Following the pattern of the two witnesses of Revelation chapter eleven, we can see an incredible likeness of their service to God.
1. The sixth church: Philadelphia
“To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.” Revelation 3: 7-8
The church that fights for two causes: To keep the Word of Christ and to be a faithful witness.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FAITHFUL CHURCH
• Has no connection with the world, so it is not successful in the eyes of man, has no worldly resources, and its faith in Jesus is not compromised.
• It is a church dressed in sackcloth
• A church committed to the Word of God
• A prophetic church (that opposes evil - condemns iniquity)
• An intercessory church
• A missionary church (speaks to all people on earth)
• A despised church
• A persecuted church
• A persevering church
A CHURCH THAT WILL EXPERIENCE THE DIVINE DELIVERANCE FROM THE WRATH OF GOD, THROUGH THE RAPTURE.
“Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.” Revelation 3: 10
2. The seventh church: Laodicea
The church whose members are on the way to apostasy and potentially will become part of the world ecumenical religion, governed by the antichrist:
“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” Revelation 3: 15-17
THIS CHURCH IS MENTIONED AS A LUKE-WARM AND SELF-SUFFICIENT
SOME FACTS ARE EXPOSED BY JESUS ABOUT THIS CHURCH:
• Spiritual pride
• Spiritually naked
• A self-deceived church: “YOU SAY...”
• A church that does not hear the voice of the Lord
• A church that keeps 50% of the Word of the Lord and makes up the other 50% with its own theology
THE LAODICEANS MUST SEEK REPENTANCE FROM THEIR EVIL BEHAVIOUR
“I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.” Revelation 3: 18
Through Jesus warnings, Laodicea was:
1. A church that had lost the true spiritual richness and exchanged it to worldliness and a compromised Christianity.
2. A church that has lost its spiritual vision. They no longer pray, no longer preach the truth, but, half-truth (lukewarm).
3. A proud church in worldly dress – Showing its nakedness (does not wear sackcloth)
IT HAS LOST THE ZEAL FOR TRUE CHRISTIANITY:
“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent” Revelation 3: 19
IT HAS A CHURCH'S NAME BUT HAS NO CHRIST IN IT (they left Jesus outside of their hearts).
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." Revelation 3: 20
IT HAS ALLOWED FALSE TEACHERS AND FALSE DOCTRINES INTO
THEIR MIDST, RESULTING IN APOSTASY:
A church that moves towards apostasy, therefore, opening the doors for the demonic manifestation among its members.
“The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.” I Timothy 4: 1-2
“For there will be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, on the contrary, they will surround themselves with teachers According to their own lusts, as if itching in their ears, and they will refuse to listen to the truth, indulging in fables. " II Timothy 4: 3-4
In the last moments of this world, before the return of Christ, humanity will have to make a choice. They must choose between two true prophets sent by God or two false prophets sent by the devil. They have to hear two voices a divine voice of true prophets or a satanic voice of false prophets. They will have to choose between two types of churches: one faithful or one false. In addition to these options, Jesus had also said: “Enter through the narrow gate. "For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7: 13-14
• Two paths (broad and narrow)
• Two gates (wide and small)
• Two groups of people (a big crowd and few ones)
• Two masters (Jesus or the devil)
• Two destinations (heaven or hell)
• WHICH TYPE CHURCH ARE YOU GOING TO CHOOSE: Philadelphia or Laodicea?
• WHAT TYPE OF CHRISTIAN ARE YOU GOING TO BE: A faithful believer or a lukewarm liberal religious?
THE LAST COUNSELS OF CHRIST FOR BOTH CHURCHES
Philadelphia - Rev. 3: 11 “I come without delay. Keep what you have, so that no one takes your crown. ”
Laodicea - Rev. 3: 19 “I rebuke and discipline those I love. So be zealous and repent.”
To Him be the Glory!